Membership of Skål is open to managers or executives directly involved in tourism management, sales and promotions, in specified travel and tourism businesses, including: transportation (airlines, cruise lines, railways, ferries), travel and tour operators and agencies, tourism organisations, governments and non-government tourism councils, hotels, convention centres, travel media; etc.
The international friendship and close personal contact of Skål must be experienced to be appreciated.
"Doing Business among friends". Skål is not a community organisation like Rotary or Lions, rather it benefits and develops the professional sector, while assisting the community at large. Skål is an Association of Tourism professionals which encourages and creates a network of professionals around the world. It promotes seminars and conferences to strengthen the industry's professionalism.
Through participation in local activities and events at all levels, members meet industry colleagues from around the world. Here, in an atmosphere of amicale, ideas, opportunities and industry matters, in general, may be shared on a personal and business level.
Skål members should promote the organisation, the formation of new Clubs and recruit qualified members.
A Skål International Membership proposal Form is available at your nearest Club or from the General Secretariat. Membership can also be submitted online at www.Skål.org. Those interested in membership may attend a Club meeting nearby or while travelling on business or leisure. Prospective members must be endorsed by two current members and the local Executive and National Committees. Final approval must be obtained from Skål International.
•Through contributions from Clubs around the world, the Florimond Volckaert Fund assists any Skål member in times of financial need or crisis.
•The Skål International Membership Card entitles members to discounts at some participating outlets, provided by Skål Members.
•The network of Skål Members worldwide is now accessible via the Skål website at www.Skål.org. Information on members around the world is at your fingertips.
•Skål Members are welcome at all meetings around the world. Wherever you travel, you can access a network of Skål friends and colleagues.
•Skål News, a magazine published quarterly, is a medium for information about the organisation and an avenue for advertising exposure to 20,000 industry professionals.
Young Skål is a category of Skål International specifically for students and young professionals directly related to the travel and tourism industry. Young Skål is a student and/or young professional non-profit organization that is directly related to the hotel, tourism, leisure and passenger transport industry. Young Skål is a restricted Skål International category and as such Group members are not entitled to full Skål International membership, to hold office, or to vote in the sponsoring Club or at any level in Skål International. Group members can only attend national or international congresses or meetings as an accompanying person of an active or life member of Skål International, unless specifically invited.
The mission of Young Skål is to enroll all persons training or working in the sales and/or promotion of tourism worldwide into the movement. The objective is to welcome them into the world of Skål International and make them familiar with its values: Friendship, Peace, Solidarity, and promoting common, local and international interests in the Tourism Industry. Ensuring that once a managerial position is reached, the Young Skålleague will continue to support the movement strongly, its ideals and principals and by being a leader, to proactively transform the environment in which he/she lives.
Young Skål groups were set up by Skål International in 1999 with the aim of creating a greater awareness of Skål International by those young people studying for or training in the various sectors of the travel and tourism industry.
The Objectives of Young Skål:
1. To develop friendship and common purpose between the students of the educational establishment, by participating in areas related to the tourism industry, and also in cultural, sports, travel and public relations activities.
2. To encourage and assist in the tourism education or experience of the members by participating in activities and meeting members of Skal International New York.
3. To cooperate voluntarily in all activities and the organization set up by Skal International New York.
4. To promote training opportunities for its members and to acquire professional experience with the support of Skal International New York.
5. To ensure that its members are fully aware of Skål International, locally, nationally and internationally.
6. To participate in an international network of Young Skål Groups.
Who is eligible for membership?
Young Skål is open to all young professionals training for or working in the industry who are at least 20 years of age and not older than 35 years, who have been in the industry for a minimum of two years.
Young Skal membership dues are $50 annually plus the cost of attending individual functions/meetings.
The requirements to become a Young Skål member are:
1. You are a student at an accredited educational institution that grants a degree, diploma or certificate upon completion of studies.
2. You are a young professional training or working in the industry.
3. You are at least 20 years of age and not older than 35.
4. You agree with and accept the objectives and regulations of the Young Skål Group.
5. You successfully complete the application process for Young Skal.
An application for Young SKAL membership is available for download here.